Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Lost Colony


The Lost Colony, our nation's longest running outdoor symphonic drama, opens its 74th season this Memorial Day weekend.  Written by Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Paul Green, The Lost Colony, tells the story of the 117 English men, women and children who attempted settlement in the New World, on North Carolina's Roanoke Island, in the late 16th century.  The colonists disappeared with hardly a trace between the years 1587-1590, becoming part of a mystery that has yet to be solved.

I saw the performance as a child, with my family, back in the summer of 1967. 
I was moved then by the story of the colonists' bravery, the birth of Virginia Dare, the Indians Manteo and Wanchese, and other elements of the story.  And I was haunted by the fact that the colonists simply 'vanished'.  Even today, as a middle-aged man, I still find the fateful story quite powerful and compelling.

Perhaps I will venture over to Manteo this year to again enjoy this masterpiece of live performance and music.  Perchance you'll join me?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home