Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Doin' the Dewey

There is no wonder I am a librarian.  As a child, I kept my room tidy, and my bookshelves in order.  I love organization.  It gives me a sense of security, a feeling that all is well in my world.

As a librarian, I am always putting books in order.  Most libraries, mine included, use the Dewey Decimal classification system.  It was invented by Melville Dewey over a hundred years ago and arranges books into categories, such as the 200s for religion, the 700s for Arts and Sports, and so forth.  I'm a big fan of the Dewey system, as it's the one I know best.  (The other well-known system of book organization is the Library of Congress classification system or LC, which is used primarily by large libraries, such as university ones.)

There are always books to be shelved, and I'm always Dewey-ing it!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home