Sunday, March 13, 2011

20 Years

2011 marks a 20-year milestone for me.  It was in March of 1991 that I began telling stories on a professional level.  I left my job at The Governor Morehead School for the Blind in February of that year to pursue storytelling on a full-time basis.  And, although I have -- at times -- had to work part-time jobs and even full-time jobs, I have never regretted that decision.  My life has been greatly enriched by being a storyteller.  In fact, I know that I would not be the person I am today had I not taken that leap of faith two decades ago.

Over my career, I have shared stories at hundreds of schools, libraries, bookstores, museums and other venues.  I have told to young and old.  My travels have taken me from all ends of North Carolina through the Southeast to the Great Lakes and as far away as eastern Canada. 

Some of my proudest achievements as a storyteller include the founding and editing of the Journal of Tar Heel Tellers, co-founding the North Carolina Storytelling Guild, leading the Historic Washington Ghost Walk, and presenting at the international storytelling conference in Newfoundland, Canada, last summer.  Still, there is no greater joy than standing on stage and simply sharing stories with listeners!

I've always thought of myself as a modern day bard, traveling the land to share stories and legends.  Below is a copy of my original storytelling brochure.


2 Comments:

At March 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM , Blogger Kelly Swanson said...

And the world has been blessed because of your stories. Thank you for taking the leap.

 
At March 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM , Blogger bardelf said...

Thanks, Kelly. We're both following our bliss as storytellers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home